Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Bedtime Story

In addition to the farm and the herb shop, I take care of my Mom.  She has dementia, Sundowner's Syndrome and a half dozen other conditions that I don't fully understand.

But I do my best.

I brought her home from the nursing home because she didn't seem very happy there.  There were wonderful people, but treated the patient, not the person.  The person is my Mother.

It hasn't been easy.  I actually thought she would be happier to be home.  But it doesn't really seem to matter to her.

Some days are better than others.

She asked me to tell her a story yesterday.  Here it is:

Once upon a time there was a little girl named 'Edith'.  One day Edith went to the beach and she played in the sun, she played in the water and she played in the wind.  She played and she played and she played.  And then she was very tired so she went home to sleep.

The End

My mother liked the story.  I cried.




No comments:

Post a Comment