Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chick-Chick-Chickweed

After spending so many years living in Montana, becoming a semi-exile in California has been painful in many ways.  The traffic, the crime, the air quality, combined with the last two weeks of interminable fog has me thinking that shoveling a bit of snow wasn't so bad. 

OK, let's not take this bit of homesickness too far.

However,  one of the things that I have become quite fond of is the opportunity to gather spring greens almost year round here. While many in my family are eating canned vegetables, I'm out picking wild green things.  Granted, home canned vegggies are no comparison to those cans you get at the grocery store...but still, they're just not fresh.  They don't have the same texture, the same smell and certainly not the same taste.
Today, I had a bit of cabin fever and was rattling about in the woods that are just outside my door.  I came across a beautiful chickweed bed (Stellaria media), soft and bright green, inviting me to sit for awhile. It's not blooming quite yet, but the growth was luxuriant and perfect for greens.
It also makes a lovely spring tonic, a fabulous treatment for conjunctivitis (although I still prefer chamomile) and has a number of anti-inflammatory properties. Some folks say it makes a good bug repellent, but I've not had much success with that.  Oh, and my 'keets love it. 

I am not partial to any sort of 'boiled green'.  I think it's a texture thing.  So I'll almost always use greens in a baked dish, or hidden in some other way to disguise the soft texture.  Chickweed is a powerhouse of vitamins but the levels (and flavor) drop drastically when dried.  Chickweed is one of those herbs to use and enjoy fresh.

I also use chickweed in several salves.  Two of the compounds found in it are Genistein and Gamma-linolenic-acid.  Genistein works as an antioxident to help counteract the effects of free radicals in tissues. It also protects against pro-inflammatory factor-induced vascular endothelial barrier dysfunction and inhibits leukocyte-endothelium interaction, thereby modulating vascular inflammation.  GLA is also has anti-inflammatory properties lacking some of the common side of other anti-inflammatories.  Are your eyes glazed over yet?  Just remember that it's a cooling soothing herb, good for sore muscles and itchy skin.
Many of my friends are hesitant to try wild foods.  This dish usually surprises them.  Every one makes their own version of chickweed pesto, but here's mine.

CHICKWEED PESTO

In a blender or food processer, blend to a smooth paste: 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup of pine nuts, walnuts  or whatever nut you like, 2 packed cups fresh chickweed, 1 cup basil (optional) 1/2 cup parsley, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese and salt to taste. Serve over hot pasta or your favorite startchy 'stuff'.

Easy-peasey.

No comments:

Post a Comment