Saturday, January 30, 2010

Unepected Company

Sometimes, I forget that a lot of folks still do 'stuff' on Friday nights. I usually am at home writing or reading, but it's nice to know that people are still out doing what people everywhere do at the beginning of a weekend. Staying up a little later than usual, relishing a few days off, connecting with friends and talking about their week, or just blowing off a 'little steam'.

Last night, a few guests dropped by. It was nice to see them. It provided a break from the monotony of the rain and fog that we've had for the past ten days. I had some good beer in the 'fridge and a fire in the woodstove and it was a very nice evening.

I had planned on having buffalo burgers for dinner, but started worrying that I hadn't thawed enough burger to feed a crowd, so went into 'presto-chango' mode. I added eggs, breadcrubs and herbs to the burger and put them into a sauce made from home made peach jam, sort of like a swedish meatball dish.

I brought up onions from the cellar, sauteed them, threw in a couple of handfuls of chickweed, blended that with eggs, cheese and milk and poured it into a phylo crust that I had in the freezer. (I hate to waste the phylo dough, so I used the rest of the package as a 'top crust'.)

Sliced some elk salami, farmers cheese and some home made herb crackers that I had made on Thursday.

And a homemade no-bake cheesecake thingy with blackberries I had picked last summer, in a pine nut crust.

I think it was one of the best 'on the fly' dinners I have ever made! And there is not a crumb of leftovers today!

No comments:

Post a Comment