Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dreaming, Plotting, Scheming...

It's blowing hard outside. Really hard. The door has flown off my greenhouse, and the rain is pouring in parallel to the sky. I had planned a walk today to look for ground ivy, but thought I better be prudent and stay inside.

So, instead, I'm sitting here by the fire with a cup of linden tea and a lap full of seed catalogs. As a kid, I would spend hours pouring over the 'Sears and Roebuck' catalog. Today, it's the seed catalogs that hold my attention. I can get lost for hours, plotting and re-plotting my garden. Scheming on how I many new types of plants I can fit in.

It's really a lovely way to spend a rainy afternoon.

As I make my list of 'must haves' I'll make it includes cayenne pepper seeds. Peppers have become an important part of my 'medicine cabinet'.

Cayenne makes a wonderful oil for sore muscles, and a great base for balms. I don't find that it irritates my skin like many of the other capsaicin creams that are available at the store. But do make sure you don't get it in your eyes!


Cayenne Infused oil
Blend 5 tablespoons powdered cayenne with 2 cups of olive oil. Since the pepper 'hotness' will vary between plants, you may adjust to your own preferences. Place in a warm sunny window for 30 days. Strain mixture and rebottle. I mix it with comfry and goldenrod for a sore muscle balm. Other folks that I've talked to add turmeric powder as well.

Yes, I've missed my walk today, but I am so thankful for the rain. The ground is thirsty for it. The trees are thirsty for it. And I'm enjoying an afternoon respite.

I hope you get one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment