Saturday, March 3, 2012

Instant Gratification

OK. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a way for some of you absolute newbies to get started foraging. So, if you want to play along, try this. If you don't, that's fine. Let's start by looking for one of my favorite little weeds. Oh, it's not a plant that will nourish you if you are starving to death. Nutritionally, it's not a powerhouse. It doesn't really have a lot of edible uses (although I'm working on an ice cream version!). But it is sort of sweet and yummy and one of my favorite ways to relax. My mother used to pick this and make me tea when I was a child. Steep it for 10 minutes in fresh, clean boiled water and add the sweetener of your choice, if you want. It's a very common weed called pineapple weed. The scientific name is Matricaria discoidea and it's very easy to identify. You usually find it in dry, miserable, disturbed soil. Below, I've listed a several links to many pictures. Look for the plant in your yards and driveways (as always, keep in mind what the surrounding area is like. You want to stay away from plants that have been chemically sprayed. Use some common sense. There have been instances where people who allergic to plants in the Aster family are also allergic to this plant) When you find it, post a picture in the album so we can give you a positive id. Please poet decent pictures, not blurry ones. I use the weed by steeping it in hot water and adding a bit of sweetener. It is much like chamomile (and in fact is known as 'wild chamomile') in the sense that it is relaxing and soothing. It's also terrific iced. Here are some pictures and info: http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=11825 http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=11825 http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=11825 Pineapple weed leaves are pinnately dissected. There is a very distinct sweet 'pineappley' odor when you pinch the leaves. My experience with the plant here in California is that at the first hint of summer heat, it disappears. Now get out your 'Botany in a Day' book. Identify the leaf type, the flower type, and learn about the family. Memorize the Latin name. (I cannot emphasize enough to begin to commit the Latin nomenclature to memory. You will find out very quickly that common names are confusing and sometimes dangerous.) It's not rocket science. I used to use homemade flashcards, but then, I'm..uh...wound a bit tight. :o) Some people rub the leaves on their skin to work as an insect repellent. Herbally, my refrences say: Pineapple weed has been used in folk medicine for centuries. The name matricaria is derived from the Latin matrix (uterus), and camomiles have been used for a host of gynaecological disorders. Other uses for pineapple weed have been as a sedative, an anti-inflammatory, an antispasmodic and an anthelmintic. Another constituent is the coumarin herniarin, which has shown a range of biological activities, including haemostatic and anthelmintic properties. Research has also demonstrated antimicrobial activity, with extracts of pineapple weed causing inhibition of aggregation of Escherichia coli cells in vitro. As a treatment for diarrhea, the whole plant was decocted. It is similar to chamomile in many of its medicinal qualities but much milder. It is used for stomachaches, flatulence, as a mild relaxant and for colds and menstrual problems. Externally it can be used for itching and sores. A lot of people dry this herb, but frankly, it seems like a lot of trouble for me since I have regualar chamomile growing in my garden. It's just that regualar chamomile doesn't have the 'sweetness' of pineapple weed. So your choice. So there ya go. Let's see if this works. At least it's a place to start.

1 comment:

  1. I love significantly your own post! I look at all post is great. I discovered your personal content using bing search. Discover my webpage is a great one as you.I work to create several content this post. Once more you can thank you and keep it create! Enjoy! edibles delivery toronto

    ReplyDelete